[aprssig] Tracker Smart Pathing

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Mar 21 12:23:14 EST 2006

>Does this not break the maxim that the furthest
>you "need" to go to is  the nearest igate?

By who's "need"?   Mine?  or the local digi Czar?
(or absentee landlord whichever label applies).
Rarely  is my "intent" to get to an IGate.
My intent is to communicate with my local network
of fellow APRS users.  The APRS-IS is very nice
to have, but often not the focus of my Ham Radio
experience.

And the last thing I want is my local DIGI czar
making decisions about where MY packets go
(as long as I am being fair to other users).

>How would you propose to configure a tracker for
>[Proportional Pathing]?

It would require new code.  But it would be a set
up option like Smart Beaconing, for example.  And
as I have already posted, could be combined with
smart beaconing too so that we get all the benefits
of smart beaconing's reduced traffic, but gain
better resollution and tracking detail closer in, since
the normally not transmitted packets are instead
still transmitted but only direct (minimum impact on
the network).

de Wb4APR, Bob