[aprssig] Tracker Smart Pathing

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue Mar 21 11:03:25 EST 2006

On Mar 21, 2006, at 9:44 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Yes, this is the same
> as the standard  2 minute update, but it is better, because
> it fills in up close when you need more frequent data.

My argument is that this scenario happens so seldom that it can be
safely ignored.

>> What we need are smart digipeaters that can adjust
>> paths dynamically  based on network load...
>> digis... can "hear" what's happening on the network
>> better than   a mobile.
>
> I have never liked the network making decisions beyond
> the SENDER's control

And yet, you sent this email. (:  It went to a server at USNA, which
apparently gatewayed it to another USNA server, which sent it to TAPR's
server where it was checked for spam, modified if you used HTML, copied
to the archive and finally resent to UAH's server which checked it for
viruses and spam, then relayed it to my server which checked it again
and forwarded it to my other server which delivered it to my mailbox.
(we're not gonna talk about what happened at the IP level between here
and there.)  You asked for very little of this, maybe didn't even know
most of it was happening, had absolutely no choice in the matter, and
yet the message got here just as you intended.  The network
infrastructure did the right thing.

The same concept works on almost every other network on the planet, it
can work for APRS, too.

-Jason
kg4wsv