[aprssig] Tracker Smart Pathing

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Tue Mar 21 09:53:46 EST 2006

> New name:  Proportional Pathing:
>
> Allan Pratt suggested that "Smart pathing" was not
> really smart, since it is a fixed algorithm.  We came
> up with Proportinal Pathing instead.  I have updated
> this post:

> The real thing we need in trackers is PROPORTIONAL
> PATHING.   That is, if the user selected (in the USA)
> PROPORTIONAL PATHING = 2, Here is what he would
> get every minute:
>
> - Except as below, every packet goes DIRECT path (no digi)
> - Every 2nd minute it would use the WIDE1-1 path
> - Every 4th minute it would use WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1

> If he set smart pathing =3 he would get the above plus
> - Every 8th minute it would use WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
>
> If he set SMART PATHING= 4 he would get the
> same plus a 4 hop path once every 16 minutes

Hi,

Does this not break the maxim that the furthest you need to go to is
the nearest igate? How would you propose to configure a tracker for
this?

Surely though, this then should be a function of the 'Network' i.e.
the Digi and not the tracker.  It only means changing the code in
every Digi (not trying to start an argument now or anything), but it
would mean that all trackers could avail of the facility as long as
their UI-PATH wasn't complete nonsense in the first place.

Basically, I should be able to set my path to AUTO or something
(DISCVR?), and the network then ensures that my packets make it as
far as the nearest I-Gate, (or nearest Big High Digi, or whatever the
sysops set the upper bound to be) and don't cause any more QRM.  Any
misconfigured trackers could be 'controlled' at this point as well.

However, if I'm 'in the field'  for whatever reason, and I know I
need to get through all the Digi's in the country (Ireland only has
about 5 :) ) then I could specify WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1 or WIDE2-2 as my
path.. and it would work as the normal WIDEn-n.

I hope that makes sense.

[snip]
Regards
de John