[aprssig] Tactical Digi use

Doug Ferrell kd4moj at kd4moj.org
Tue Mar 21 09:13:35 EST 2006

	Robert Bruninga wrote:
>> ...on a two day 200 mile biking event in April.
>> I would like to switch the local digi's and route
>> digi's (temp setups) over to a tactical type
>> path so if the band opens up the trackers don't
>> get clobbered over.
>
> Thoughts:
> 1) An ambitious undertaking.  Can you catually
> get access to ALL digis in the entire area to
> make the switch?

  I have access to two Digi's (mine, one in Tallahassee and one in the
next county west where the starting point is). We are going to setup Temp
Digi's along the route using motor homes with push up poles and our HQ on
a high hill midroute will have a tower mounted on a trailer (one of those
self contained jobs with a 50 ft pneumatic mast) functining as a
digi. Problem is in South Georgia there are only two Digi's and the closet
one is about 45 air miles away. So we will be relying on temp digi's along
the route once they leave the TLH area heading into S Georgia.

> 2) If you stay on 144.39 nothing can protect you
> from RF QRM.  If you are going to adjust every
> digi anyway, then why not move to 144.99 if
> available in your area... and then hav ea clear channel.
  That is an idea... but I was hoping to remote control the digi and not
physically go to the site. I'll have to ponder that one.

> 3) Since we have receommended that all Kenwood
> D700's be permanently set to support TEMPn-N
> digipeating in the UITRACE parameter, you might
> think of setting them up and the fixed digis to that
> setting  at the same time for the event.

 I'll have to revisit those settings. I know that about 6 of use have
D700's and one of the local ham's just built 5 tinytracks so i'll have to
see how this plays out.

> 4) SOunds like your intent is to not support WIDEn-N
> during the event.  A lot of locals may have problems
> when normal tracking ceases.

   Actually most of the locals will be on the route but we have a club
meeting before the event (weekend after tax day) and we'll inform them of
the path change if the want to partipate from home. only problem is that
folks traveling along I-10 won't be digi'd. My thoughts on is to activate
a temp digi at a site I have access and set that up as the "area digi' for
travelers. It's about half the height of the Tallahassee digi but will
capture travelers

> 5) Better thing to do might be to just make sure
> ALL surroundign digis have good UIDIGI TRAP
> aliases in place to trap expected QRM...
> good luck

   Finally surronding digi's (Georgia and Alabama) have done so with the
exception of one digi west of us around Panama City (uses two wide3-3's
in his path!)

BTW, this event is the the premier route of the TOSRV group (Tour of
Souther Rural Vistas). They love the scenery of our part of the country!
http://www.floridabicycle.org/fbtc/   scroll down until you see TOSRV.

--
...DOUG
KD4MOJ