[aprssig] FTDI usb/serial devices on Mac OS X?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Sat Mar 18 08:50:35 EST 2006

Has anyone used an FTDI usb to rs232 chipset on Mac OS X?

I've had good results with Keyspan adapters, but I'm looking at
chipset solutions now.  One huge complaint I have with every vendor
I've used so far is that the driver uses names that are either based
on the device's location in the usb "tree" or on the sequence in
which the driver notices the device.  The FTDI documentation
indicates that they use the serial number of the device in the device
special file name, so I could have a consistent name for a particular
device no matter when or where I plug it in.

-Jason
kg4wsv