[aprssig] Re: Kenwood D7AG battery options ?

Ian ZL1VFO zl1vfo at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 17 01:45:09 EST 2006

> Message: 25
> Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:42:54 -0800
> From: "Herb Gerhardt" <hgerhardt at wavecable.com>
> Subject: RE: [aprssig] Kenwood D7AG battery options ?

~~ Snip ~~

> I also recently purchased one of those 2000 mAh BP-39 Li-Ion packs and
> chargers that they sell on eBay.  I am not convinced that this pack will
> work to my satisfaction that is why I just also bought the above battery.
> This Li-Ion battery seems to shut itself off internally for some unexplained
> reason.  I am doing some testing on this pack and have made that
> manufacturer aware of this shut down problem.  They are now also looking
> into my problem.  The shut down seems to be related to RF transmissions
> including RF from the TH-D7 while transmitting in certain environmental
> conditions.
>
> Herb, KB7UVC

Usually Li-Ion packs have battery monitoring electronics inside the
battery pack to prevent overcharging or discharging below a minimum
voltage point. These circuits may not appreciate lots of RF nearby..
Li-Ion also don't have quite the same current supplying abilty that
NiCads do.

http://www.buchmann.ca/chap2-page6.asp for general info on Li-Ion &
http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap4-page8.asp for charging info.

The other pages on that web site make interesting reading too, if one
is curious about rechargable batteries.

-Ian ZL1VFO