[aprssig] Marrying APRS & Doppler - Was: aprssig Reading APRS beacons w/Dopplers?

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 16 18:05:55 EST 2006

  Bob,

  I'm also aware of the interpretation issue and would not consider a non-human button pusher (see below).  I'm referring to automatically reporting the (human selected) bearings from the hound(s) to a central location (or any hunter) to do the triangulation for the best estimate fox lat/Lon.  Each time a bearing is reported by a hound, it is reported via APRS.  Anyone can grab them (thanks to APRS) and put them on the map and the SW will do the triangulation.  One can drive around and do the pushing, or several hounds can do the pushing and the "system" will give the best estimate Lat/Lon.  My code does up to five fixes. Neat and very possible (with the required software).

  That being said, however, I can imagine that looking at the last so-many bearings from the Doppler, one could define a quality factor and consider automatically sending a bearing only when the quality is 'good', or sending the quality factor and including it in the calculation. This is something I already have in my code because even with manual bearings, each hound will have a confidence factor in his bearing and that can be put into the calculation.   I borrowed the concept from computer generated curves and surfaces so common in in the modern CG films, so that part is a piece of cake.  Getting all the boxes to talk is beyond me right now.

  Dave,
     As I said, I fully understand that the Doppler is not the ideal tool.  It doesn't do everything, all the time, the best way.  There are also very easy ways to mess up an otherwise good concept.  I have been involved / interested in DF since the Navy around '65, and have some ideas I want to try which I think can improve the Doppler, but until I have one running, I can't brag; just try these ideas and either do good, or say it was fun trying.

  Do you know what (brand) Dopplers have you seen that have so much trouble with FSK?  This makes perfect sense and is precisely why I asked about the affect of APRS Squawks on them.  I have the Greany board and the design looks pretty good.  Without going into a full resume, I also have access to some pretty good test gear and a full understanding of what's going on inside and out (vagarious nature the RF ocean in which we live).

  Out of curiosity, what's your weapon(s) of choice?
  Which Doppler is in your basement?
  73, Steve, K9DCI