[aprssig] Service outage notice: FIRST.APRS.NET

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Mar 15 09:40:31 EST 2006

FIRST.aprs.net will suffer loss of connectivity one or more times on
March 24 & 25 between 12:01am and 6am (CST) due to a fiber move mandated
by the Texas DoT for some road construction.  This outage will affect
FIRST's connectivity to both the commodity internet and Internet2.

On Sunday, 26 MAR, First will go down for maintenance at 2:30 pm CST for
approximately 2 hours.  A new motherboard, CPU, a memory upgrade and
additional hard disk capacity will be installed at that time.

I will consider putting off the upgrades if there is severe weather
affecting large areas of the Continental US, both because I'll then be
busy and because of potential adverse effects on users.

Sorry for the inconvenience but it's time for FIRST to grow a better set
of hardware.  As to the fiber maintenance, we don't have any control
over that and no way to get around it, yet.

Please direct comments to me on this subject via private e-mail to
n5jxs at tamu.edu

73, gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983