[aprssig] WX converter

Andy AB9FX ab9fx at aprs.pl
Tue Mar 14 23:50:08 EST 2006

I work with Radek SQ2FOA on WX Converter. Originally, project was just for
our digi with KPC-3+ and Ultimeter 2000. Now, I think could be useful for
many more digis with wx. Ultimeter in the Packet Mode sends data which is
not integrated with other wx standards, i.e. sends rain values as today rain
and long term rain, in the basic wx standard there are one hour rain, 24h
rain and today's rain; also wind speed is only as the gust not as the
average speed. In addition, data is not readable for Kenwoods; we can not
see reports on the road.

We want to keep stand alone digi with wx. Converter comes between Ultimeter
and KPC3.

So, what is new in our converter? Ultimeter is in Complete Record Mode,
converter makes wx reports with position or as the option without position.
There are wind course, wind average speed, wind gust, temperature, 1h rain,
24h rain, today's rain, humidity, barometric pressure. In the configuration
program any of these values could be excluded if there are no sensors; then
in the place of required data are dots, meanwhile not required values are
omitted.

In addition to standard APRS weather values we had implemented some
additional data in the status packets sent every 30 minutes. Already there
is 3 hour barometric pressure change in the format as >+0.8hPa. We think
about extreme (max and min) temperature during the day in the format
41F at 13:07 27F at 03:34 and maybe long term rain as 23.56"

My question is about any formats of additional weather information in the
status. Is anything like this already specified? Is this format acceptable?

I do the tests with the converter as AB9FX-1 (now connected to KPC-3+,
before also successful to KAM XL transmitting on VHF as well as on HF).

73!

Andy