[aprssig] New Exam Question Pool

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat Mar 11 08:13:36 EST 2006

On Mar 11, 2006, at 12:15 AM, John Habbinga wrote:

> What item is required along with your normal radio for sending
> automatic location reports?
>
> A. A connection to the vehicle speedometer
> B. A connection to a WWV receiver
> C. A connection to a broadcast FM sub-carrier receiver
> D. A global positioning system receiver
>
> I understand that D is probably the best answer, but is D really a
> correct answer?  My station at home is automatically set to send a
> location report every 30 minutes and I don't use a GPS receiver
> with it.  I just input the lat/long coordinates in my UI-View32
> setup menu.  My D-STAR gateway also transmits its position every 20
> minutes in the D-STAR low-speed digital mode without being
> connected to a GPS receiver.

True, but those position reports are manual, not automatic. Note that
the question did not ask "What is needed to send a position report
through the Automatic Position Reporting System (TM)?", in which case
your argument would have some validity, though even then D is still
better than the other three choices, none of which have anything to
do with position determination.

Steve K4HG