[aprssig] PCSAT2 => PCSAT-1 dual hop packets & DX

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Mar 10 15:07:28 EST 2006

PCSAT2 - PCSAT-1 Joint Ops Report:

On the 1855Z pass on 11 March of both PCSAT2
and PCSAT-1 over the USA, we copied 4 telemetry
packets From PCSAT2 out over the central Atlantic
via PCSAT-1 which was over Eastern Canada.

Also got an unbelievable 2 APRS packets from
MM0HMM-2 via just PCSAT-1 for a UK to USA
path of 3341 miles from Western Scotland to
Annapolis Maryland.

Now that PCSAT-1 is fully OPS normal this week in
full sun, activity is picking up.  The web page shows
about 50 stations in the last 2 days:
http://pcsat.aprs.org

Whereas PCSAT2 digipeater only shows about
8 uers:   http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/pcsat2.cgi

This dual satellite operation on 145.825 will only last
until 16 March when we have to QSY PCSAT2 back
to UHF to avoid interference with a school contact.
Use the path of VIA WIDE2-2 and if positions are right
you will go through either satellite or both.

We need any IGates or SATgates to make sure
they are listening on 145.825 arond the world
for any potential dual-hop packets..  You can use
the FIND-ON-THIS-PAGE of yoru browser to look
for the dual hop packets.  On the PCSAT2 page
just look for PCSAT-1 and vice versa.

de Wb4APR
US Naval Academy Satellite Lab