[aprssig] Cell Range

Rich Mazzeo forummail at richmazz.com
Thu Mar 9 22:20:39 EST 2006

This is getting off APRS, but the goal is to effectively have NO difference in power between the base and handset.  Wireless carriers use high gain antennas usually arranged in 3 branch diversity gain and hooked to a receive multicoupler to bring the signal from the mobiles up.  We also use all of our statistic reporting tools to see whether the base is too hot (or quiet) in relation to the mobiles and make adjustments from there.  And of course the handsets all back down their power as the base gets stronger according to parameters set at the base (we can run the handsets a little higher or lower if necessary).

--
Rich