[aprssig] Appalachian Trail APRS trip report

Wes Johnston wes at kd4rdb.com
Wed Mar 8 13:15:49 EST 2006

TDMA2000 system used here allows the tower to alter the handset's power
up/down from 340mW in 1dB steps down to -80dB  under 340mW (what ever that
is).  The problem is what we call "windup" in the process control world...
once the handi reaches 340mW, it can't go any higher in power, but the base
keeps asking for more.  The base keeps jacking up it's power and the handi
is unable to comply.  You end up with an asymetric link.  Me thinks the
solution is to limit the base to 340mW like the handi.  Or to have the base
never go up on power unless it knows the handi has gone up.

Wes