[aprssig] TH-D7 and Group Code

Steve Sobodos steve at scsvideo.com
Sun Mar 5 14:59:45 EST 2006

Well we had an urban search training deployment this morning and everyone in the command post were impressed with APRS. I had enough hardware for three beacons, two backpack and one vehicle. We had three "lost people" with one bloodhound tracking each. We teamed with bicycles and vehicles to hasty search based on the DOT and location of the bloodhounds. The CP watched the hound (actually the handler, me) on the real-time APRS monitor and re-vectored the hasty team ahead of us as we made turns etc.

The Bloodhound trackers are a hydration pack with the Garmin Etrex GPS on the front strap and the TH-D7 on the backside with a gain antenna. The command post is using UI-View/Precision Mapping with the exclusions enabled for !TEAM* which shows only our teams. We pre-loaded the laptop with aerial photos and topo maps for underlays. You can check out the history on FINDU to see where we were. TEAM1 was a vehicle and TEAM2 & 3 were on foot behind the dogs.

Getting to your reply, I had hopped that the manual was being literal when it said the TH-D7 would only 'receive' stations with SPCL. I agree the CP is the most important and filtering is easy there. I just could see a scenario where we might ask a team to go find another that had gone off the air (voice and APRS) and the team could track using the D7 display to the last beacon from the other team. As for the waypoints in the GPS, we tried that but every beacon in Southern California was in the list and swamped the memory. The 10 mile limit would help that, we will try that next time.

I agree with you, SAR resource management without all the voice radio traffic is a great goal. There have been times we have been in a wide area wilderness search and every 5-10 minutes the CP is calling teams for GPS UTM coordinates, which are read back to verify, then hand plotted on a map.

Steve Sobodos
Orange County Sheriff's Department
Search and Rescue Bloodhound Team
"Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel is accompanied by bloodhounds."