[aprssig] RE TH-D7 and Group Code (SPCL/AlterNet)

kb2scs at optonline.net kb2scs at optonline.net
Sun Mar 5 07:38:26 EST 2006

Hi Steve
               I do not know how the TH-D7 program code is coded to
handel SPCL and AlterNet. But  I do know how APRS software is
supposed to work with SPCL and ALterNet.

How SPCL is supposed to work according to the APRS Spec.
APRS Software is supposed to allow the user to change his ToCall to
"SPCL". When the user does so his APRS software is supposed to filter
out all other Stations that do not have "SPCL" as there ToCall. Which
would cause only the stations with the ToCall of "SPCL" to show up on
their Maps.
Note all other stations running APRS software  on 144.390 would see
the "SPCL" stations on their map.

How AlterNet is supposed to work according to the APRS Spec.
APRS Software is supposed to allow the user to change his ToCall to
any valid AX25 ToCall. When the user does so his APRS Software is
supposed to filter out all other Stations that do not use this
AlterNet ToCall. Which would cause only the stations with the same
AlterNet ToCall to show up on their maps.
Note  all other stations running APRS software on 144.390 are not
supposed to see the stations using the AlterNet ToCall.

The above "Note" sentence is supposed to be the difference between
"SPCL" and "AlterNet" according to the APRS Spec.

I do not know if the TH-D7 has implemented this part of the APRS
Spec.

APRSDos and APRS-SCS do adhere to the APRS Spec. So "SPCL" and
"AlterNet" do work in APRSdos and APRS-SCS.
There are probably other APRS Software that adhere to the APRS Spec
in this manner but I have only used APRSdos and APRS-SCS.

I hope this has been of some help.

Let us hope we never witness the "Silence Of The Hams"
73 DE John  KB2SCS
       E-Mail:            kb2scs at arrl.net
       APRS-SCS     http://www.tapr.org/~kb2scs
       Web Page:     http://www.qsl.net/kb2scs