[aprssig] Graphics

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Thu Mar 2 11:28:14 EST 2006

> I think if the resolution of the image were more like the current
> monitors resolution of 800x640 or higher, that the screen of Dos APRS
> could be made higher??

Oh man, this brings back bad (and kinda fuzzy) memories of DOS graphics programming in C.  If I recall correctly, 640x480 with 16 colors was one of the highest standard VGA modes.  If you wanted to used anything higher than that, you had to know how to what video card you were using and how to interface with it.

VESA standards improved that, so you didn't have to have as many vendor-specific drivers, but it was still a bit of a pain.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the language (QBASIC, isn't it?) didn't support higher resolution modes because of that mess.

If you're not running on ancient hardware, I don't see the point anyway.  No offense to Bob, but Xastir does pretty much everything APRSdos does and a lot more.  I think APRS-SCS is also supposed to be a 'full' and proper APRS implementation in the spirit of the original.

Scott
N1VG