[aprssig] DIGI's along the keys

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jun 30 19:10:22 EDT 2006

>Now the next question is what about the wx stations
>along the Keys.  There are 8 wx stations along the Keys
>that currently use wide,wide,wide to get to the Monroe
>EOC and to NHC. They use w,w,w, so that the signals
>bounce up and down the Keys.

I just looked at them on FINDU and it is hard to say.
THey do not conform to the New-N Paradigm so they
do not have sufficient information in their packets to
tell.  That is one of the advantages of the New-N paradigm
because it makes all packets self-documenting to include
all the needed info for network analysis:

1) Traceable
2) Self identify their type of TNC
3) Identify their digipeating capability
4) include all this info in their position reports.

In the absence of any information, I will assume the following,
that is, that they are all just old TNC's with only one ALIAS
set to WIDE.  That way they can all digi each other.  And
it is not much of a dupe problem, because they are linear
instead of two dimensional.

But it could be upgraded somewhat to the New-N paradigm if
everyone was willing.... and my assumptions that they are
simple singel-alias TNC.s is correct..   Lets see...

1) Change all their single aliases to WIDE1-1
2) Change all their paths to
    APNxxx VIA WIDE1-1,WIDE1-1,WIDE1-1
3) Include in their position reports something like
    "W1-1 only digi/WX station.. ..."

Notice that the xxx in the APNxxx should identify the type
of TNC.  The result of all of these changes will be

a) Identical to the W,W,W system now (no loss)
b) But fully self identifying as to type of TNC and
    their digipeating capabilities.
c) Will support traveling WIDE1-1,WIDEn-N moblies
    that are new-N compliant (at least for one hop)
d) Will be compatible with future New-N growth if any
   of the digis get upgraded to somethign that is fully
   New-N compliant

If on the other hand, they support multiple alilases
(such as PacComm TNC's), then set the additional
aliases to WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2, WIDE2-1, WIDE3-3
and then they will also support all visiting new-N
mobiles for at least two hops.  Then instead,
make their BEACONS include something like this:

"W11,W22,W21,W33 support only"

Then anyone, at anytime can always tell what
every station and every packet is capable of.
That is one of the most important parts of the
New-N paradigm is the self-documenting features
for all packets and all digipeaters, making APRS
network management easier for everyone.

Hope that helps.

Bob, WB4APR