[aprssig] TNC220s and KISS - Possible?

Ian ZL1VFO zl1vfo at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 28 05:32:23 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Another ham & I have several PacComm TNC220s bought from Market day
sales over the years, however we have had little luck getting them to
run in KISS mode. UIView32 spits out 'Break Errors' and 'Framing
Errors', whereas AGWPE just locks up & drives CPU usage to 100%.
Normally this P166 runs happily at 2-5% talking to a TNC2 which does
have KISS init.

They appear to work fine in a normal terminal mode, though.

Their boot up screen is as below.

PacComm TNC-220 Packet Controller
AX.25 Level 2 Version 2.0
Features:
  PERSONAL MESSAGE SYSTEM V 2.3
  CLOCK CHIP SUPPORT
Release P1.1.6B2  05/17/89 - 32K RAM
Checksum $EA
cmd:

Would anyone know where one can buy EPROMs with a KISS mode in them
that will work with this model TNC?
I'd also be happy with other generic or open-source KISS enabled
firmware, which I could download & burn myself (I have a EPROM programmer).

73 de Ian ZL1VFO
Auckland, NZ.