[aprssig] TEMPn-N for Field Day

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jun 27 18:01:36 EDT 2006

>The unrealalistic thing is that during an emergency we will stay
>on 144.390 and not have to get the infrastructure setup up on
>another frequency.

I wonder if that is the best plan?  Of course it depends on the
emergency, but in some cases, it might be better to:

1) go local on another frequency so that the APRS net does not
have to contend with the hundreds of other unattended-disinterested
QRM generators packeting away 24/7 on 144.39

2) Go to another frequency to improve the point-to-point
long haul performance of APRS between point A and B.

3) Show how rapidly the area can re-constitute digis on 144.39
when all the power is out to the existing ones...

APRS was supposed to be come-as-you are responsive to
in -the-field requirements and not be too dependent on
apriori infrastructure.

I think the current armchair-internet mode of visualizing APRS
as a 24/7 tracking system may make us vulnerable to being
able to respond in the field to emergent conditions in some
situations...

Just a thought.
Bob, Wb4APR