[aprssig] What sort of events have you been using APRSwith?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jun 27 13:20:36 EDT 2006

>> > Speaking of overlooked features, what clients support signpost objects?
>>
>> APRSdos and Xastir support them at least.  Xastir shows them at all
>> zoom levels though, while the spec (and I assume APRSdos) say to
>> show them only at close-in zoom levels.
>
>But xastir doesn't draw them with the value overlaid -- you have to
>use the "station info" menu to get at that information.

Ah, bummer.  The idea behind the sign-post symbol was so that the
needed info appeared on the "sign" without the user haveing to do
anything to "view" the value.  Maybe this is some extra code that
someone on the xastir development team can get around-to some day.

THe original incentive for these sign posts was for displaying the speed
of traffic past a point.   A sign with "55" on it would imply that the
speed past that point was 55 MPH.  The APRSdos APRStfc.exe program
generates these sign posts based on analysis of APRS mobiles
pasing a point.  etc....  There is an addon for UIview that will
also do this.  So it is good for this symbol to be included in all applictatinos.

Bob