[aprssig] What sort of events have you been using APRS with?

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Thu Jun 22 11:49:52 EDT 2006

I wasn't directly involved this year, but:

MS-150 Bike ride from Houston to Austin over 2 days/ 200 miles. I recall at
least 4 ambulances, the lead, and the sag tracked. There may have been a
motorcycle D700 as well, there has been in the past. All emergencies along
the route are called in via Amateur or cell or however, to a central
dispatch manned with various folks who's real job is PSA answering. They
use the APRS to see which resource is nearest the accident scene. There
were over 10,000 (!) riders this year.

Cell phone networks get overloaded so there is heavy reliance on amateur
radio voice ops on V and UHF along the route. A linked system that covers
the ride route is used, along with various VHF repeaters.

Motorala (Argent? or whatever their new name is) Marathon. Runs through a
large part of Austin. A non-144.39 net for APRS is established. Lead, Tech,
and Buses are tracked (about 15-20 trackers). There are two APRS channels
set up, and the trackers use time-slot and beacon, as I recall, at 1 or two
minute intervals. The channel(s) are busy but it works fine.

Everything is also gated to to the APRS-IS so that folks can monitor the
progress of the event. The runner's position, and where the transport buses
are, is important and dynamic.

       ) )    de WA2MCT Mark
      ( (     Echolink 99190      Grid Square EL17HQ
       ) )    You will be assimilated... oooh, coffee!!
    _|****|   http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?wa2mct-7 Home
   ( |    |   http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=wa2mct-9 Mobile
    `|____|   wa2mct at mearle.com  wa2mct at juno.com  wa2mct at arrl.net