[aprssig] Tier 2 Status

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Thu Jun 22 07:25:57 EDT 2006

Steve, you control who is in the core.  Period.

It is true, I wrote the software that makes APRS-IS work.  It is true, I
restrict its free distribution to only licensed amateur radio operators
(a commercial version is available).  But that is as far as I am
involved.  I made javAPRSSrvr very flexible so that I wouldn't be
_dictating_ to sysops how they participate in APRS-IS while
_implementing_ strict safeguards to prevent the type of problems we saw
when javAPRSSrvr came on the scene.  And my software design philosophy
has increased APRS participation many times what it was back in 2002
because people _can_ participate and enjoy a _stable_ network.

> > Seems to me that you still own the aprs.net domain and that you are
> > still the sole purveyor of core server domain names...
>
> You know very well I've always added any aprs.net name people
> have asked for, including for the core servers.

Have you?  Then where are all of these core servers you say should
exist.  You control the domain; you control who is going to be one of
the core servers.  You do not control the other 5,443 stations that
connect to APRS-IS (actually more because javAPRSSrvr doesn't "beacon"
unless it is an IGate).

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net