[aprssig] Tier 2 Status

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Jun 21 23:04:37 EDT 2006

On Jun 21, 2006, at 10:16 PM, AE5PL Lists wrote:

> [...]

Do you need capacity the number of people that connect to the APRS in
a 30 day period, or do you need to support those that connect at the
same time (plus a reasonable excess margin and redundancy). For
example, there have been 2205 CW reports in the last hour, but these
connect every 5 to 15 minutes, send data for a couple seconds and
disconnect. Do you need to have capacity for each of them to be
connected constantly?

I can see where you got that number if you are using the q's, but the
great majority of those will be CW connections that are simply not
the same as a 24/7 IGate! Call me myopic if you want (it is true, and
I do not believe laser eye surgery has adequate followup yet!) but if
you think the APRS IS needs to have a dedicated connection for
everyone that connects once a month, you are grandiose! We should be
talking about the maximum number of simultaneous connections, not the
number of people spread out over a long, arbitrary time frame.

>> To add each server to the core, a new person would need to
>> edit their config file to match a template, and start the
>> javAPRSrvr program.
>
> ???  Steve, I understand how a mesh works.  What you conveniently
> forget
> is that the load does not evenly spread out and the issues of
> _coordinating_ those servers becomes exponentially more difficult.

Where's the exponent? The problem is linear, n servers equals n
sysops, each of whose hub has n-1 connections to other hubs. If
managers where really afraid of linear increases in complexity, we'd
all still be living in villages!

>>> and getting then necessary OC-3 pipes with high pps routers
>> donated is
>>> unlikely as well.
>>
>> I disagree strongly with this statement. As I said, I have
>> had no problems getting such sites donated every time I have
>> asked. There are a lot of APRS users that control sites with
>> fat pipes.
>
> Glad you disagree.  Gee, if my number of 5000 was high and you think
> there are maybe only 1000 direct APRS-IS users,

If you are talking about the number of APRS (not CW) users, I'd say
even less.

> and 1% work for ISPs (a
> generous percentage)

And one I have no estimate for, other than working from the other
end, the number which actually deliver...

As I say, EVERY time I have needed a site, I've gotten multiple
offers from very good sites, people that in fact do have total
control (like CTOs of large co-lo sites). Every offer I have accepted
has turned out to be real (and don;t think I don;t lose a little
sleep shipping an $8k server to someone I never heard od before!) So
whatever the percentage is, it is adequate.

Again, I am not trying to convince you, or anyone else. I do believe
that the two tier system is inefficient, and my purpose in jumping in
here was to make it clear this is not the way I designed the system,
and that I do believe it could be run more logically as a single core
system.

The fact is, it does work, and well. I just want to be able to say "I
told you so" when it stops working ;-)

Steve K4HG