[aprssig] WIDEn-N 'Decay Sequence'

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Mon Jun 19 16:39:40 EDT 2006

Keith VE7GDH wrote:
<snip>
> Modern digipeaters in North
> America will completely ignore RELAY and WIDE. I have my IGate set to gate
> them to the APRS-IS, but I don't digipeat them.

But "enabling" use of the obsolete aliases by continuing to "rescue" those
inconsiderate operators (by sending their packets to APRS-IS) only delays
the process of improving the VHF network for all it's users.  But you can
repair this "dis-service" by updating a setting at your UI-View32 IGate
station.

With a UI-View32 IGate, Please consider setting, in
C:\Program Files\Peak Systems\UI-View32\IGATE.INI ,

NOGATE=NOGATE,RFONLY,RELAY,TRACE,WIDE4,WIDE5,WIDE6,WIDE7

This will still pass packets with WIDE3-N and WIDE2-N and WIDE1-N from RF to
APRS-IS as before.
73, Cap KE6AFE

P.S.  RELAY and WIDE and TRACE and TRACEn-N are completely obsolete
throughout North America (at least).  And this has been the case for more
than a year already.