[aprssig] Running an igate station

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Jun 19 09:53:07 EDT 2006

Stephen N1VLV wrote...

> I will be running a full two-way Igate when I get enough equipment to do
> it. I don't have the capacity to do it right now, so I am forced to work
> with what I have. I am more interested in experimenting with this than
> anything else. My goal is to be able to run a radio/tnc off of a linux box
> as a dedicated 2-way Igate in the near future.

OK.

> Again, I want to use AGWPE on a windows box and take all the received
> APRS packets and Igate them from the linux box. I have very little
> experience with APRS on a linux platform, I have used Xastir, but that is
> overkill for what I am trying to accomplish. I am looking for something
> non-graphical that will run from the CLI. Our area is without an Igate and
> I want to take small steps before I open a full blown more capable one.

You haven't really said why you want to get data from the Windows box to the
Linux box, but let's continue on.

Have you considered running AGWPE / UI-View on the Windows machine? You
could enable "local server" in the APRS server setup. That would allow you
to get data over on the Linux machine over your LAN... if you have an APRS
client running on there that can specify the Windows machine as the source
of the data. It seems that your dilemma is finding an APRS client for the
Linux machine that meets your needs of being non-graphical for some reason.
Does anyone know of a non-graphical APRS client that will run on Linux?
It would need to connect to <computer name>:1448 (unless the port was
changed) on the Windows machine.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH