[aprssig] WIDEn-N 'Decay Sequence'

Anders Green anders at pobox.com
Mon Jun 19 09:02:19 EDT 2006

I've looked in the APRSwiki, on Wikipedia under APRS,
and a few other place. I'll admit I haven't tackled
the actual spec looking for the answer to this
question:

"Can someone describe how the WIDEn-N knows when to stop?"

I'm guessing that when the packet is re-transmitted, the
server software changes the text of what goes out. For example:

Original transmission: abcdeWIDE2-2figk
First retransmission:  abcdeWIDE1-2figk
2nd retransmission:    abcdeWIDE0-2figk
and the next person that received it sees "Ahh, zero, don't
rebroadcast."

But if that's the case, the "-2" doesn't really do anything.
Also, if the 'n' got decreased each time, I don't know why
a user would specify "WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1", since the second
entry would 'override' the first.

So that points to me not understanding how this works. *grin*

Could someone show me the decay sequences for:
"WIDE2-2"
"WIDE2-1"
"WIDE1-1"
"WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1"

Or perhaps a definition of what the 'n' and 'N' variables
are named?

Patience with me please, I got my D700 last week and only
really finished the installation yesterday. Now that
all the hardware is straightened out, I'm looking at
the software subtleties . :)

Cheers,
Anders