[aprssig] Running an igate station

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Jun 18 11:07:07 EDT 2006

Stephen N1VLV wrote...

> I suspect I should clarify a few things as it seems I am not winning
> support because my idea seems unpopular for valid reasons. This
> installation is only temporary until I can get a full time TNC on-line. I
> won't even be transmitting. No one in my area runs an Igate, and we
> can not even hop to the closest one unless propagation is good.

I thought in your original message you said...

   > I want to run a full time Igate station here at my QTH in listen
   > only mode for now.

Several people explained why it's better for IGates to be fully functional.
A couple of questions (well, really the same question)...

1) why would you want to set up a "one way" IGate?
2) why don't you set up as a fully functional 2-way IGate?

and an observation... if you want to set up a one way IGate, why not go
ahead and do it - as long as you shut it down if a fully functional IGate
pops up next door to you? You say you aren't winning support, but you really
haven't explained why you would want to install a crippled IGate. You even
stated...

   "No one in my area runs an Igate, and we can not even hop to the closest
    one unless propagation is good."

Maybe there's more to this than you have so far explained, but that seems
like the perfect reason for setting up a fully-functional IGate. However,
why call it an IGate if you are listening only? Could you not just set up
your station with a TNC on RF and a TCPIP connection for a feed from the
APRS-IS and just not call it an IGate... i.e. use a house symbol? Perhaps
you can fill in the blanks.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH