[aprssig] Running an igate station

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat Jun 17 23:50:01 EDT 2006

On Jun 17, 2006, at 11:23 PM, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:

> I want to run a full time Igate station here at my QTH in listen
> only mode for now.

Receive only IGates are not encouraged because it is difficult to
differentiate from a full IGate. People think about putting up an
IGate when their data is not getting to the APRS IS. If an area has
only a receive-only (or one-way) IGate, the data from RF does get to
the internet. However, if in the future a ham comes along in the area
that would otherwise have put up a two-way IGate, they have no way of
determining the present coverage is receive only, and do not put up
the more capable IGate. This is not hypothetical, this situation
existed for quite a while in the early days of the APRS IS. The SF
Bay area had one of the very first IGates, but when the two-way
system was developed a year later, that IGate did not implement the
new protocol. The RF network there was well developed, and that one
IGate fed a very large area into the APRS IS, which had an inhibitory
effect on others placing IGates online, so San Francisco (a hotbed of
APRS activity when it was still rare) was one of the last major
cities to get two-way IGate coverage.

If your area requires IGate coverage and you are unable to provide
two way service, I'd recommend you get together with other local
operators and see if someone else is willing and able to provide the
complete service.

Steve K4HG