[aprssig] Preliminary delayed packet analysis

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Fri Jun 16 22:27:47 EDT 2006

On Jun 16, 2006, at 10:20 PM, Stan - N0YXV wrote:

> I'm not trying to reinvent APRS-IS. I was hoping that the thrown
> out packets
> could be collected somewhere along with the kept packets so we
> could get a
> bigger picture.

There is no single point where such a collection could be made, the
dup filtering happens at every stage. Such a collection would require
every IGate have two connections, one to the current APRS-IS, and the
other to this new collection point. Furthermore, the findU-like
database better run some SERIOUS hardware, the write load on the
database would be many times greater. In other words, it is simply
not practical.

Steve K4HG