[aprssig] Re: TIGER maps what-s the problem?

Rich Mulvey aprs at mulveyfamily.com
Fri Jun 16 14:48:41 EDT 2006

Richard Amirault wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Bruninga" Subject: Re:
> [aprssig] Re: TIGER maps what-s the problem?
> (snip)
>
> It is a big disappointmet to me to see so much of the original APRS
> lost in translation to incomplete clones
> (snip)
> =======================
> FWIW .. me too ... APRSDos user (still)

  Different strokes for different folks.  FWIW, when I tried APRSDOS I
found it horribly clunky and unintuitive, especially for someone who
only uses it occasionally.

  On the other hand, I found Xastir to be very easy and intuitive, and
it does *exactly* what I want, without any fuss or muss.

   Do the other APRS apps work differently?  Yep.  But I look at what
they do, particularly in the emphasis on superior mapping, as the
natural evolution of the original idea.  Obviously they're meeting more
people's needs than APRSDOS, or they wouldn't be so popular.  In the
end, they seem to be better implementations of what the *users* want to
do, instead of just being clones of what *Bob* wants users to do.
- Rich