[aprssig] Re: TIGER maps what-s the problem?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Fri Jun 16 14:23:12 EDT 2006

On Jun 16, 2006, at 12:37 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> What you just implied, Bob, is that if I create some horrendously
>> inaccurate APRSdos map, then it is _your_ fault, as the APRSdos
>> developer, for not telling the user...
>
> Yes!... and that is why APRSdos automatically assigns ambiguity in
> EVERY transmitted position based on the scale of the map in use
> by the initiator of position information.

This is nonsense.  If I know my position and enter coordinates, the
scale of the map I'm viewing when I enter or transmit the data has
absolutely _nothing_ repeat NOTHING to do with the accuracy of those
coordinates.

The scale at which I'm viewing the map is also completely unrelated to
the accuracy of that map data.

> 13)  Initial capture of first packet from a station and tentative
>        plotting in vicinity of his first digi so that he is known to
> the
>        system until an eventual posit packet comes in.

Plotting a position on the map when you have no idea where the station
is (as defined by an actual position report) is located doesn't make
sense.  Especially given the state of the APRS network and the dumb
devices that are digis, you _cannot_ be sure which digi heard a packet
first.

This _may_ make a _limited_ amount of sense _if_ you hear the station
direct.

Any data that does not contain positional information doesn't belong on
a map, IMO.  Imprecision I can deal with, but don't make wild guesses.

-Jason
kg4wsv