[aprssig] APRS for Aircraft?

Ken Brown W2KB at comcast.net
Fri Jun 16 06:18:01 EDT 2006

I think the product in the advertisement is using using mode S transponder
signals ( e.g., http://www.garmin.com/products/gtx330/ ), rather than the
newer and better ADSB which is not yet available in most of the USA.  I have
a Mode C in the cardinal, legally required in New York City area and other
airspace, but will eventually go to ADS-B, once the prices come down with
manufacturing quantity.  Mode S is being eliminated, as reported by the US
AOPA:

FAA Mode S mandate sends mixed signal about future avionics purchases
AOPA is concerned with an FAA plan to require Part 135 operators who can no
longer repair their Mode A or C transponders to upgrade to Mode S
transponders beginning in March 2007.This seemingly benign mandate sends a
mixed signal to aircraft operators, considering the FAA already is starting
to eliminate Mode S traffic information service at 23 locations nationwide.

"The FAA is aggressively working on a plan to replace most radar systems
with automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B)," said Randy Kenagy,
AOPA senior director of advanced technology.

AOPA has opposed mandatory Mode S transponder equipage since the 1990s
because aircraft owners would have to bear the cost of new avionics that
provide no direct benefit to them.

"It makes more sense to allow Part 135 operators to delay any upgrade and
plan for ADS-B technology, skipping Mode S transponders that probably will
be phased out within a decade anyway," Kenagy said. "Unlike Mode S, ADS-B is
a platform with real-world benefits for aircraft owners who install and
connect it to a display because it provides free graphical Nexrad weather
and robust traffic information."

ADS-B ground stations currently are in use in Alaska as part of Capstone and
along the East Coast. AOPA has worked with the FAA for 10 years on
alternatives to Mode S transponders, including ADS-B, which would result in
benefits for general aviation users and efficiency and capacity improvements
for ATC. Although ADS-B offers superior performance, the big question is the
price of the avionics.

The FAA is working on detailed ADS-B implementation plans, which include
rapidly installing ground stations nationwide beginning in 2007. The FAA
could switch to ADS-B services within the next 10 to 15 years.

October 20, 2005

73, ---Ken W2KB  N16019