[aprssig] Preliminary delayed packet analysis

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Jun 14 20:19:50 EDT 2006

Mark N9XTN wrote...

> <snip> This would seem to be enough of a spread among IGate
> software to be unable to prove UI-View is the sole source of the
> problem as postulated before. <snip> ...this sample size was too
> small to be really useful (about 15 packets) but did show UI-View
> was not the sole source for this case either. Sooooo....the bottom line
> is that I don't think UI-View is the sole source of the duplicate problem.

I applaud your efforts! There have just been too many blanket "statements"
trying to blame UI-View for something or the other including delayed
packets. I wouldn't even attempt to duplicate the analysis that you just
did, but I have seen several instances of delayed packets where a particular
digipeater was involved. We have all heard reports trying to blame UI-View
just because it happened to hear a delayed packet. It's nice to see some
hard evidence that the finger just can't be pointed at UI-View itself.

We all know that UI-View won't be the #1 APRS client of choice forever, but
for now (one year? five years? probably less than ten years?) it just does
so many things right in spite of the fact the core program hasn't been
updated since we lost Roger. Let's just enjoy it and use it... and watch for
other authors to step up to the plate and come up with a UI-View
replacement... no matter how many years it takes! (With apologies to
Xastir users who might think they already have a UI-View killer - hi!)

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH