[aprssig] Re: TIGER maps what-s the problem?

Wes Johnston wes at kd4rdb.com
Tue Jun 13 11:59:14 EDT 2006

Actually, the 60' limit of a standard aprs position is killing me with the
rino radios.  It's very difficult to explain to the layperson looking at a
photo of an event why all there is only one icon showing near the trailer
we're using.  The most confusing it seems is when the letters overlay from
the name of the object.  For example, the objects STIDOM  and BLANKENSHIP
over lay and become STIDOMNSHIP.  To the non-layperson it's difficult to
visually local my resources on the map when they are all in a stack right on
top of each other.  We had 4 people standing at a checkpoint and it looked
like one.  I had to use the 'find station' option to center that stack on my
screen, then just accept the person I was interested in was in that pile.
Of course, just as aggrivating was seeing the rino program catch a position
from a user and plot him off the viewable area of my map... I spent over a
minute looking before it dawned on me to zoom out.

Wes