[aprssig] Re: TIGER maps what-s the problem?

KC2MMI (Jared) kc2mmi at verizon.net
Tue Jun 13 09:43:09 EDT 2006

Chris-
 <<...But it looks to me
like you are asking for something that it is impossible to provide.
The guy who writes the software is not equipped to confirm the
accuracy of the map data.

The only person who might have  both the map and the ground at hand is
the user.>>

On the contrary, the person sending the data into the APRS networks has no
assurance of how it will be seen or displayed. And, you are right that the guy
who writes the software is not equipped to confirm the map data. So, ask
yourself this:

If the guy writing the software can't confirm the map data, why is he using the
most misleading possible icon, a pinpoint or speck, to (mis)represent that data?

If you are lost someplace and someone asks you to show you on a map roughly
where you are, do you show them a pinpoint? Or circle some larger area and say
"We're somewhere around here" ?  That's all I've ever asked, from any of the
authors. They *know* they are not "here". They also know they are "somewhere
around here". Why on earth not show what they know?