[aprssig] Test program using MapSource Maps

BH brent.hildebrand at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 22:11:03 EDT 2006

The program is quite simple.  Windows allows for stuffing characters
into  the top level program, so that is all I do using a few windows
API calls.  So to go to a particular Lat/Long position, make MapSource
the top level program,  Send it the characters Ctrl+T,  find the input
edit box, stuff in the appropriate character representation of the
desired Lat/Long and simulate the pressing of the Enter key, and
MapSource has been panned to that partular location.  Do the same for
the scale.  Then do a screen capture.  Calibrating for Lat/Long is
quite simple.  If you are on the "5 mi." scale, then 100 pixels = 5
miles.  You know the center, and you set and/or determine the map
size, it is just a simple matter of calculating the  Lat/Long of the
corners.  You can then draw what ever you want on the map.  Viewpoint
of course does the connection to the APRS-IS, and has a simple HTTP
server.  Data is stored locally, no calls to Findu.  That's it.  The
biggest drawback is that in order to do screen captures, the map needs
to be the top level program.  Not too nice if you want to use the
computer for real work instead of play as the map program pops on top
for the capture, then disappears.  So it is probably best to run it on
a older computer that can be dedicated for that purpose, or just run
locally for your own use so you know when the pop up is going to
happen.