[aprssig] New TRACKER system

Rich Mulvey aprs at mulveyfamily.com
Mon Jun 12 13:25:03 EDT 2006

clayj at nwlink.com wrote:

>Just like everything else from SCS - overpriced!

   I know that it's almost a requirement for everyone to bash SCS on
every mention of the company, but I have to throw in my two cents - in
all of the TNC's, etc I've ever owned, nothing ever comes even
*remotely* close to the construction and build quality of the SCS PTC-II
I have.  I seriously think you could run over it with a truck and it
would keep running.  These things are made for continuous use in a
saltwater environment..  Most other ham equipment would fall apart in
two weeks under the same conditions.  As much as I love my TT3 and
OpenTracker, they're not anywhere near the same class, especially when
it comes to issues like RF resistance in a vehicle.

   And the PTC's are not expensive at all when you buy the modems on the
used market - sometimes you can get them cheaper than a KPC 3+.  ;-)

- Rich