[aprssig] Re: Feeding multiple stations into one for digipeating?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Jun 11 21:03:34 EDT 2006

On Jun 11, 2006, at 8:44 PM, Patrick Green wrote:

> There is no perfect world and a balance is the best possible
> answer.  In
> an area where there is moderate to high traffic, if when a receiver
> site
> system suddenly uncovers many stations that were unable to be
> transmitted before, the central digi will clog up any remaining space
> in the network and as a result ALOHA circles are reduced.  However,
> if each of these receive sites that actually transmitted, the network
> would be impacted more for every station added.

Again, it depends on how busy your channel is to start with. Adding
more receivers to a transmitter in a busy area can be worse than
doing nothing. In a busy network, you want to decrease the "cell
size", decrease number of users per digi, not raise it.

> I want to increase the number of receivers but not the transmitters.
> While APRS-IS has hundreds of receivers, 99% of them are not
> covering in the area of the transmitter in this case.

That really is not much of a distinction. You are taking data which
is not making it to the digi, and feeding it through an auxiliary
path. Perhaps it is less extreme and less abhorrent, but the net
result is the digi transmits more stations. If you have a lot of
trackers that are not getting heard by a well maintained digi, the
problem is most likely there are too many users on the digi already.
In this case, the better answer is more digis with less coverage, the
same way cellular providers handle higher traffic.

Steve K4HG