[aprssig] Too quiet - make packets

wa7nwp at jnos.org wa7nwp at jnos.org
Fri Jun 9 17:36:03 EDT 2006

> I also noticed that you have the following listed
> twice in the script, was that an error?

Good catch on that one.   Cut and Paste from a Putty window sometimes
doesn't work as expected.

>> expect "login: "
>> send "$username\r"
>>
>> expect "login: "
>> send "$username\r"
>

> Ok I know too little about DX Clusters, Expect and your script.
> Questions; "DXCLUSTER-HOSTNAME" is that like your Tier 2 APRS server?

The clusters have a similar Internet access scheme. It's a real "login" to
the cluster unlike the APRS-IS where it's just a data feed.  Other then
that, yes -- that is the internet host name.

> DXCLUSTER-USERCALLSIGN I'm assuming is simply my call sign.

That's correct - for the login to the cluster.

> If that's so
> then why is the next line "YOURCALL" there? Would seem to me that
> DXCLUSTER-USERCALLSIGN and YOURCALL would be the same thing.

The Yourcall is used for the packets being broadcast.  It maybe be a
different call or a call with SSID.

 Next setting
> don't understand is port 7300, is this the port on the Tier 2 Server you
> want to connect to?

That's the port on the DXcluster.   This widget has nothing to do with the
APRS-IS infrastructure.  As long as you have a destination path of RFONLY,
the packets won't even make it to the APRS servers.

HTH.  73,
Bill - WA7NWP