[aprssig] broken links...

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Jun 6 13:42:32 EDT 2006

To Bob WB4APR...
(sent to the SIG & BCCd to Bob)

I was doing a search (Google) for something and ended up at
http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/aprs11.html Down at the bottom of
the page, the "back to the APRS site map" goes to
http://cadigweb.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/sitemap.html but the link is
broken.

Same for the "sitemap" link at the bottom of
http://cadigweb.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html

At the bottom of http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/aprs12.html the
"sitemap" link goes to http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/sitemap.html
but gave a server generated page with ha 404 error the first time I looked
at it and a "page cannot be displayed" error in my browser second time
around.

The "sitemap" link at the bottom of
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html also gives a server
generated 404 error.

I know we are supposed to use the .edu site instead of the .mil one, so to
get back on the right track, I finally went to the UI-View site at
www.ui-view.org and followed the link to
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html The sitemap link in the middle of
the page to "Overall WB4APR SITE-MAP" goes to
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/sitemap.html and that one loads OK.

However, what I was really looking for was your link to the APRS spec, but I
just couldn't find it even following links in the "APRS SPEC" list 2nd from
the top of the sitemap page. I ended up viewing the copy that is down near
the bottom of the main page on the UI-View site at www.ui-view.org - and
then of course realizing I already had a copy on my hard drive when I went
to save it! I finally found what I was looking for...
"Position Ambiguity A reduction in the accuracy of APRS position information
(implemented by replacing low-order lat/long digits with spaces). Used when
the exact position is not known."

Coming up... a question about ambiguity and the D7 in another thread!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH