[aprssig] findu.com Location off by 100 miles.

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jun 6 09:52:26 EDT 2006

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Steve Dimse wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2006, at 11:00 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>
> > Ah, but again that interpretation is not interpreting the sender's
> > intent.  Position ambiguity means the sender is only sure of his
> > position to some level of accuracy.  If he uses 1 mile ambiguity
> > then it does not make sense to try to force precise "edges" of that
> > unknown quantity to something too precise.
> >

> In this day and age this is a ridiculous statement. It is
> particularly true with D7/00 poitions which are deliberately de-
> precisioned.

I chuckled when I read that last, thinking to myself that ANY device
that transmitted Mic-E position packets -or- regular non-compressed
APRS packets was obscuring their position.  You get a very nice
~60-foot grid from any such station.  Can't do better with those
formats.

I know that's not what you meant, but that's the first thing I
thought of.

For those that say 60-feet resolution is enough:  I can think of
several examples where it is not.  Most don't involve travel by car.

Off-topic for this thread though so I'll drop it.