[aprssig] findu.com Location off by 100 miles.

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Jun 5 17:26:40 EDT 2006

On Jun 5, 2006, at 8:35 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> That is a failure of the display software to properly display
> position ambiguity.   Software should never display an ICON
> at a point other than where the sender intended.

This worked fine for the original AORSdos, but does not translate
well into the world of modern internet mapping. For that reason findU
translates the spaces into zeros. Not an optimum solution, but I've
never heard a single argument I found convincing in favor of position
ambiguity. Either you want people to know where you are or not. The
most common argument is that people do not want to show their home or
digi position for security reasons. In this case, the best answer is
to pick a location other than the real QTH for the near-but-not-too-
near security position and transmit that.

Steve K4HG