[aprssig] New User Question(s)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Jun 4 23:28:51 EDT 2006

> Robbie,
>
> Thanks for the info.  While implementing your suggestions, I
> discovered that the home station wasn't transmitting.  I'll have to go
> troubleshoot that before I can proceed further.  Your info, and that
> of the other responders to my original request is giving me a leg up
> on getting everything working.
>
> A question, though.  Why does the TT3 not need APRS in the path while
> UI-View does need it in its' path?

It's an idiosyncracy of the way UIview's data entry form for station
setup is arranged.

Nearly all other APRS programs and devices (like the D700 or TinyTrak)
have you enter the digipeater paths and final destination in separate
fields.

UIview's author chose to use the traditional packet path convention,
and have you enter the entire path (digis and destination) as a single
string into a single field on-screen.

Regardless of how the program prompts you to enter the information, it
is actually transmitted over-the-air in the same format. This format
most closely resembles the way you enter it in UIview; i.e. one long
string with delimiters.

This and other issues about setting up UI-View are discussed on this
page of my website:
     UI-View Misc Notes and FAQ
     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm

--