[aprssig] Burst after voice (was pointless text)

Wes Johnston wes at kd4rdb.com
Thu Jun 1 10:21:03 EDT 2006

I love the idea of using PTT mode on the kenwood... a mic-e burst at the end
of voice transmission, however there is a problem with the kenwood
implementation.... and the TinyTrak inplementation too...

For some reason, every 5th or 6th odd time I send a position using the PTT
burst after voice method on the kenwood d700, the radio actually unkeys for
anywhere from a brief instant to 2 seconds then re-keys the radio and
transmits my position.  It's almost like the TNC in the radio was distracted
at the moment I unkeyed and then tried to catch up.  I suspect it's in the
process of collecting a GPS sentence at the moment I unkey.  It's
aggrivating and frequent enough that I gave up trying to use the mode.  It
sometimes takes up to 2 seconds to finally decide to keyup and send a
position... enough time for the other party in my QSO to start talking and I
miss part of what he's saying.... which is the whole reason for using the
PTT burst method in the first place.  Instead I attached a Tiny track 3 to
my mic cable and used that set to the same callsign as the kenwood to send
positions.  The kenwood can still send messages though, and it still
receives data and plots to my GPS.

Also, just to split hairs, the d700 has a fixed txd of 500ms, which is
annoying for mic-e use... I sure wish it was able to be changed like the
d7 - or that it had the smarts enough to realize that it only needs long
txdelay when the radio isn't already on-air.  So with a d700, the mic-e
burst is actually 500mS of txd + 100mS of data.  Still it's an interesting
mode.

I _think_ I've also discovered a bug in the TT3's implementation of the
burst after voice too... my TT3 is hooked in series with the mic's PTT and
should assert PTT after my mic has pulled PTT low.  It should continue to
hold PTT low until I unkey, send data, then release PTT.  But instead it
does not clamp PTT.  It seems to wait for me to unkey, then assert PTT and
send data.  This causes the radio to go thru a full TX->RX->TX cycle and
prevents me from running a TXDelay of less than 150mS.  I think we should be
able to run a TXD of 50mS in this mode though.  On a nearby HT, I can hear a
little static crash between when I unkey and the data is squirted and on the
radio I'm talking on, I can see the PTT indicator do a little 'double dip'.
I'm not sure if this is a problem with _my_ TT3 or all of them.  I asked
about this on the TT yahoo group and got no answer and also have email Byon
and he said he's looking into it.  Does anyone here have any experience with
this?

Wes