[aprssig] Need help testing 30m HF APRS in the Northwest

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 31 14:30:13 EDT 2006

Indoor antennas seldom work well.
Even a poor improvised outdoor antenna usually works better
than something mounted indoors.  A dipole in a L configuration
is likely quite mismatched.  If at all possible try mounting it as an
inverted V, but it sounds like your L is necessitated due to
the size and shape of the room.  Remember, a dipole radiates
off the sides.  If even only temporarily, get it outside and up
off the ground 15-20 ft and broadside to WA or CA and see
what happens.  Not sure what a "RED LED SWR bridge" is,
sounds like some CB contraption that blinks when the SWR is
supposedly too high, wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.
Put a real meter on it.  There shouldn't be any need for a Z or
any other match if the antenna is cut to the correct length and
mounted correctly, away from things that detune it, high enough
(1/2 wave or better) off the ground.