[aprssig] Need help testing 30m HF APRS in the Northwest

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 31 00:11:33 EDT 2006

Well, the *actual* frequencies of HF APRS are subjective.
There's the 10.151MHz we all know and love, but that
is actually never what you tune your dial to, *usually*.

I hear several claiming an *exact* or actual dial readout to use.
This is bunk.  Every radio/TNC combination can be different.
Your problem of not getting to a DIGI might be either:
not being on the correct frequency, or
not having sufficient radiated signal

To determine how your radio/TNC display your actual transmitted
frequency you need to know:
what your TNC tone pairs are - MOST tnc's are different!
How your radio handles the display, if it has a "digital" or "packet" mode
that attempts to add/subtract the *assumed* TNC tone from the center
frequency.

As an example, my FT-1000D has several different settings to adjust the
displayed dial freq to try and match the sideband offset of various TNC's.
If I have that set incorrectly my dial freq could be several hundred Hz off.
It also has a true center freq mode, so I can simply do it myself knowing
what the offset is.

On HF, your radiated output can be almost NOTHING, even with
hundreds of watts, but in your case with only a few watts you need to
make sure you're getting out!  If your antenna stinks the output power
is meaningless.  You can load up a light bulb and the transmitter might
be perfectly happy but no one except your next door neighbor will hear you.

You've made no comments as to what your antenna is and how it's mounted.

Make SURE you're on freq first, then work on the antenna issue.

For all digital modes in the USA, LSB is the standard, BUT most
rigs will not be happy with that since the offset will SEEM to place you
outside the band edge and the rig's CPU will prohibit TX.  So you can
still go USB and subtract to get where your dial needs to be.

With only a few watts you SHOULD be getting out most of the time,
even with poor propagation these days, so I'd guess you're not on freq
or the antenna isn't doing it's job.

What TNC did you say you had and what's the tone pairs?
And you rig?