[aprssig] Finding HF GATEs

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Jul 26 17:43:51 EDT 2006

On Jul 26, 2006, at 5:20 PM, Ben Jackson wrote:

> Is there an easy way to identify all the HF GATEs?  I'm watching an
> APRS-IS feed filtered for /& (described as "HF GATE") and \- ("HF
> home")
> only a fraction seem to be on HF.  Lots of the /& appear to be
> IGates and a lot of the homes have paths making them look like they're
> on 2m.  I'm guessing that many people pick symbols based on the
> pictures
> rather than the descriptions.

By definition, an IGate is on both HF and 2 meters. If a station
simultaneously transmits a beacon on both HF and VHF, the VHF beacon
will get sent in a quarter of the time, and therefore is much more
likely to reach the APRS Internet System first. The second to reach
the APRS IS is filtered. As is true with any propagation related
question, the APRS IS is not an appropriate tool to answer the question.

Steve K4HG