[aprssig] Mounting 2M Xcvr in '05 Toyota Camry

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 26 16:48:59 EDT 2006

    If it sounded like I was promoting mag mounts, I wasn't.  I do use them for 2 & 440 only 'cuz I havn't had the time to do the install (family business and now a retirement offer I can't refuse has stolen much of my free time).  They have their place and aren't all bad, but can cause problems.
      I also recommend doing a real install.  The holes do not adversely change the value.  My last car, a 92, had 248,000+ miles so I don't care anyway.    You can use mag mounts and have no problems or you can.  You may or may not be able to solve them almost all can be solved.  There are al of of tricks I know from my early installation days and if you don't know them, it can seem impossible sometimes.  All the way from dash clock spew to trunk-closing motor lines and bumper mounts and motorcycle seat springs.
     Right now if I run the full 50 W on 2, my Garmin V starts its shut down sequence, thinking it lost external power.  I haven't worked on fixing it yet and live with it.
    I don't know if there any good books on mobile.  There used to be one some time ago that many praised, but I don't know if it is still available from ARRL.

  Good luck. &
  73, Steve, K9DCI