[aprssig] Fwd: Galileo hacked and out'd

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu Jul 20 10:48:59 EDT 2006

On Jul 20, 2006, at 9:23 AM, Sean Jewett wrote:

> That's not stopped hackers in other countries seeing as the DMCA is
> a US law (though the US has lobbied other countries to pass DMCA
> type laws). And if this is the ESA, would they really try to use US
> law?

The spreading code was cracked in the US, you can bet the EU would
pressure the US to prosecute the crackers of their encryption if they
lived in the US. Many other countries has DCMA type laws. And, as I
say, the production encryption may very well be so secure that no one
short of the NSA has a realistic chance to succeed.

Regardless, my point was that nothing significant actually occurred
with this "cracking" in terms of the future of Galileo.

Steve