[aprssig] Fwd: Galileo hacked and out'd

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu Jul 20 10:00:20 EDT 2006

On Jul 20, 2006, at 9:30 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> The European equivalent to GPS (Galileo) was intended to be a
> pay-for-service system, instead of a free service like GPS.
> Didn't take long for hackers to get around that....
>
> http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/684-full.html#192727

It isn't that simple. This is a test-bed satellite. The timing data
on the cracked signal is not encrypted, it was a matter of
determining the spread spectrum sequence. The sequence was something
that was planned for dissemination, the crackers simply beat ESA to
the punch.

In the functional system, the timing data will be encrypted. I do not
know the details (or if they have been published) but you can bet it
will not be something easily cracked, and furthermore, any attempt to
do so would run afoul of the DCMA.

Steve K4HG